Housing & Transportation
Madison offers a variety of housing options for graduate students. For those for whom transportation is a concern, bus service is available throughout campus as well as residential neighborhoods in and around Madison, Middleton, Fitchburg and Verona.
You can find more information on housing and transportation options in the Madison area at the sites listed below:
- Campus Housing Options:
- Madison Neighborhoods:
- Local and Campus News:
- Campus Parking:
- City & campus bus:
Looking for something to do when you’re not in the lab, in class or studying?
There is always something going on in Madison. Need proof?
- Plenty of shopping right near campus in downtown Madison (State Street and surrounding area). There are also 3 main malls in the Madison area.
- Madison has plenty music. Local performers include The Madison Opera, Madison Symphony and Wisconsin Chamber Orchestras. The Overture Arts Center and the Alliant Energy Center are hosts to national and international performers. Smaller venues include the Barrymore Theatre, Orpheum Theatre, the Majestic Theatre and, in the summer, the Memorial Union Terrace on campus.
- If theatre is your thing The Overture Arts Center, The Wisconsin Union Theatre, Children’s Theatre of Madison, the Comedy Club and several improve groups are just some of places to go.
- Sports enthusiasts will find something of interest year round. In the winter, lakes and snow can be great opportunities for ice skating, ice fishing, hockey, down-hill skiing, cross-country skiing, snowshoeing and spontaneous fun with snowballs. Sailing, biking, and Mallard’s baseball are just a few of the Madison-summer mainstays. Don’t forget to check out the U.W. Intramural Sports on campus
More information on upcoming opportunities in Madison and the surrounding area can be found at:
- GradConnections, a weekly newsletter filled with opportunities for socializing, professional development, and community involvement. You can sign up for this free newsletter at:
- Be sure to check out The Guide to Graduate Student Life: https://grad.wisc.edu/studentlife/. The Guide contains information on everything from where to study on campus, to money issues, to where to eat and dance in Madison and even how to get out of Madison (should you need to do that).
- The Isthmus, a free publication, is a resource for events, news, movies, music, restaurants and other happenings in Madison. You can access The Isthmus at: http://www.thedailypage.com/daily/.