Capstone Certificate in Clinical Nutrition
Earn a post-graduate certificate online from a world-class university
Why this certificate?
The clinical care of patients is more complex than ever, and this includes the nutritional management of patients and clients. This certificate will help the healthcare practitioner thrive in today’s complex clinical environment.
The UW–Madison online certificate in clinical nutrition provides you with graduate-level education and advanced training in nutrition support, complex nutritional assessment, clinical nutrition research, pediatric nutrition and much more. You will develop cutting-edge clinical nutrition skills needed in today’s competitive job market.
In addition, this fully online program offers:
- Flexibility to complete the program while employed
- Highly experienced and engaged instructors
- Opportunity to receive continuing education credits to maintain your credential for the Registered Dietitian and other professional certifications
Who should consider this program?
The Clinical Nutrition Capstone Certificate is designed for registered dietitian nutritionists, physicians, advanced practice practitioners, pharmacists and other healthcare professionals. This could be an option for a new undergraduate from a nutrition and dietetics program who will be pursuing their dietetic internship. We’ve also had medical students and residents take courses in the program.
Please note, this program is not intended for career changers or those without a background in healthcare.
What will you learn?
The courses focus on areas where employers are seeking advanced skills and reflect the most reliable, research-based knowledge in the field
- Develop expert knowledge and apply concepts of evidenced-based nutrition therapy in the management of various disease states and populations.
- Comprehend, interpret and evaluate the latest clinical nutrition research.
- Gain knowledge and skills that contribute to successful progress towards professional career goals.
Why choose UW-Madison?
UW–Madison has long been recognized as a world-class university, consistently ranked high in the top public schools in the U.S. (#14, U.S. News & World Report, 2022).
Dedication to continuous learning
Our students have the opportunity to work with people who embrace meaningful and spirited discussion, and who embrace learning as a lifelong journey.
Support to stand out
We can help you get noticed in an increasingly competitive environment through our unique combination of teaching excellence, vibrant experiences, cutting-edge research, innovation and credibility.
Be part of more than 150 years of excellence in education at UW–Madison!
How the program works
You can begin in any semester – fall, spring or summer – as courses may be taken in any order. The 9-credit program can be completed in 1 year, and you can customize the curriculum to best meet your career goals.
|3-Credit Courses||2-Credit Course||1-Credit Courses|
Upon completion of the program, the Capstone Certificate in Clinical Nutrition will be granted and posted on your UW–Madison official transcript.
Bachelor’s degree or equivalent
Minimum cumulative GPA ≥ 3.0** (on 4.0 scale)
Completed Didactic Program in Dietetics OR the following prerequisite courses:
- General chemistry
- 2 courses in biological sciences
- 1 course in each: organic chemistry, biochemistry, physiology, statistics
- 2 courses in nutrition (human nutrition, clinical nutrition)
**If your cumulative GPA is less than 3.0, please reach out to the program director to discuss eligibility.
Eligibility of International Students
International students who need an F-1 or J-1 visa to legally study in the United States are not eligible to apply for the Capstone Certificate in Clinical Nutrition. If you are already in the U.S. on another visa type (e.g. J-1 scholar, J-2 dependent, HIB), you may be eligible for admission.
International students who are abroad and plan to live abroad while completing the program are eligible for admission. We are unable to provide any type of visa to study in the U.S. through the capstone certificate program.
You can begin the program in any semester—fall, spring or summer—as courses may be taken in any order. Applications are accepted any time of year.
Steps to apply:
- Visit the Adult Career and Special Student Services website to apply online as a University Special Student.
- Submit the following materials to the program director (see contact information below):
- Official transcripts from all colleges/universities attended
- Brief essay describing your reasons for applying and your career goals
- Resume or curriculum vitae
Makayla Schuchardt, MS, RDN, CNSC
Program Director, Capstone Certificate in Clinical Nutrition
Department of Nutritional Sciences
1415 Linden Drive
Madison, WI 53706