The Department of Nutritional Sciences strongly echoes the recent message from CALS Leadership, and the words of Deputy Vice Chancellor Patrick Sims in response to the killing of George Floyd by Minneapolis police (When Will We Get It?).
We commit to educating ourselves on the historical and institutionalized systems that have created inequalities which have set the tone for current conditions, and use our voices, curriculums, and actions to begin to work towards a new and equitable normal. We are committed to understanding the experiences of marginalized people by doing the work; listening, reading, acknowledging privilege, building empathy and relationships. We understand this an active process, not a means to an end. We are committed to allowing space and safety for our faculty, staff, and students to vent, protest, or share feelings without judgement or barriers.
If you are struggling to process your emotions, experiencing anxiety, or feel the need to talk to someone, please consider using these resources:
- SilverCloud online mental health services for UW students, faculty, and staff
- UHS Mental Health Crisis Line for UW students
- Academic Advisor for UW students
- Life Matters confidential counseling and personal resources for UW faculty and staff
We want to remind you that UW-Madison faculty, staff, and students can report any instances of hate and bias at this location: https://doso.students.wisc.edu/bias-or-hate-reporting/
Community resources for reporting hate and bias, as well as general information and support, include (but are not limited to):
- Emergencies and crimes in progress should be reported by dialing 911
- Contact local FBI once safe and ask to submit a hate crime complaint to local civil rights squad | Milwaukee FBI Field Office (414)-276-4684
- DEPARTMENT OF CIVIL RIGHTS cityofmadison.com/civil-rights | (608) 266-4910 | email@example.com
- Dane County 24-hour Crisis Line | 608-280-2600
- Dane County Office for Equity and Inclusion (for general questions) | 608-283-1391 | OEI@countyofdane.com